We might not think we need a good immune system… until we get sick! And those just seem to get every bug under the sun and are always sick, then your immune system definitely needs a boost!
You may have found yourself under attack lately, picking up everything that is going around. Recurrent colds, coughs, tonsillitis, tummy bugs that seem to hang around may be leaving you feeling fatigued and raking up those sick days.
When we think ‘immune system’ and ‘nutrition’ we often think vitamin C (oranges, oranges & more oranges!) But it is far more complex than that with many things affecting how efficiently the immune system is working. And oranges are not the highest source of vitamin C, contrary to popular belief! Try broccoli, brussels sprouts, capsicum and pineapple as well.
It can be as straightforward as being a bit run down and catching everything however sometimes, for many different reasons, our immune systems can also become confused and start attacking certain parts of the body causing autoimmune disorders. These conditions require different protocols to not only support the immune system but also regulate it and believe it or not diet, lifestyle and nutrient play a big role in this.
So how can we support the immune system through nutrition?
There are so many things that can contribute to your immune system not putting up a good fight, including lack of sleep, high sugar diet, nutrient deficiencies, and overuse of antibiotics but rest assured with the right advice these reasons are easy to rectify.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep. This is when the body does almost all of its healing.
- Check zinc levels and think about how much you are getting in your diet. When we are sick our bodies chew it up a lot faster, so we need to have lots of zinc!
- Avoid sugar. Sugar has been shown to reduce immune responses by up to 6hrs!
Ready to make an appointment?
Not quite? Carry on with the article below >
Dealing with an autoimmune disorder?
If you’ve been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, it can often feel like your body is too busy fighting itself to fight of any real threats to the body. All autoimmune disorders are different and can come on for many different reasons. Gaining a better understanding of the kind of support the body needs as a whole and how to help regulate your immune system can help to lessen the impact throughout the body.
- Get on top of your gut health https://fnqhealthco.com.au/gut-health/ . Many autoimmune disorders are linked to disruptions in the gut.
- Consult your Clinical Nutritionist about nutrients to regulate your immune system. The immune system can overreact sometimes and so it is important to not only support but to regulate as well.
- Be kind to your body and rest when rest is needed. Autoimmune disorders can leave you feeling tired sometimes and its important to listen to your body in these times.
So if you are someone that does get sick a little too often or know someone who is always not well with something, check out our immune booster package, so we pick that immune system up and fight off those sicknesses! And as always, if you have any questions at all about how you can support your immune system, please reach out – we are here to help 🙂