The perfect Easter treat, enjoyed best with a cup of tea!
- 2 tsp (7gm) yeast
- 1 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- ½ cup currants
- ¼ cup of psyllium husk
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 eggs plus 1 extra for wash
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 cups brown rice flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup 100%
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 4 tsps spoons of 100% stevia
- 4 tbsp brown rice flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tsp 100% stevia
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- Boil a kettle of water (keep this handy – you will be using it throughout the recipe ;))
- In a small bowl add yeast, 1 tsp maple syrup and ½ cup of warm water. Set aside to activate.
- Meanwhile, place currents in a bowl and cover with water from the kettle.
- Fill an oven proof bowl with boiling water and place in the oven with the oven light on.
- In a bowl add psyllium husk, xanthan gum, eggs, and 250ml of hot water then set aside.
- In another bowl, add the tapioca, flour, salt, maple syrup, spices, baking powder, baking soda and then mix them together.
- Mix all the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Add orange zest and fold in the currents.
- No kneading needed, tip the dough onto a floured surface, cover your hands in flour and cut dough into 8 even pieces.
- Then roll each piece into balls and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Place them in the oven and let them rise until they have doubled in size (keep bowl of water in the oven).
- To make the glaze, add the orange juice and stevia to a small saucepan. Bring to boil, then simmer for a couple of minutes and then take off the heat to let cool.
- Once the buns have doubled in size take then out and preheat the oven on 200C.
- For the crosses, mix together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, stevia and water. Spoon into a piping bag or plastic sandwich bag with a small hole in the corner and pipe on the crosses (or if you are anything like my children, your initials or some silly picture!)
- Lightly whisk the egg for egg wash and brush over the buns.
- Place the buns in the preheated oven for 25 mins or until golden.
- Once they are ready, brush them with the orange glaze and serve!
- Enjoy warm, my favourite is with a nice cup of tea!
Happy Easter! x
Prep time: 60 mins
Cooking time: 30mins
Total time: 90 mins